Every once in a while either with backup purpose or for migrating contents from one WordPress installation to another you will need to use the Export option provided by the WordPress platform.
This tutorial will provide you with detailed explanation on how the Export tool works and how you should be using it.
First you will need to locate the tool of course and for this purpose you will need to login into your WordPress admin area and navigate to Tools>Export.
Once you access the export page you will be able to notice brief explanation on what the export tool is and how it works. Basically depending on the type of data you have selected for exporting the tool will automatically generate an XML file with that content which will be automatically downloaded to your local computer.
Right after the explanation you will find the export options under the Choose what to export interface.
Basically if you would like all of the contents on your website (Pages, Posts) exported you will need to select the All content type of export. If however you will need to export specifically posts or pages there are few additional settings we would like to discuss.
Posts – Once you click on the Posts type of exported contents you will be presented with few additional options:
- Categories – This option will allow you to select specific category you would like exported or All of the categories.
- Authors – This option will allow you to export only the posts related to a specific author or All”authors.
- Date Range – The actual date range you would like the posts exported from.
- Status – The status of the exported posts. This option will provide you with the alternative to export posts in either Published, Scheduled, Draft, Pending or Private status.
Pages – Once you click on Pages type of exported contents you will be presented with 3 additional options for configuring the exported pages:
- Authors – This option should be used if you would like to export the Pages for a specific author or for All of the authors.
- Date Range – The actual date range you would like the pages exported from.
- Status – The status of the exported contents. This option will provide you with the alternative to export pages in either Published, Scheduled, Draft, Pending or Private status.
Once you are done choosing the component you would like to export simply use the Download Export File option so the export can begin and for the .xml file in question to be downloaded.
TRY CLOUD HOSTING FREE CHECK PRICE